So, a majority of people wonder how they can naturally increase their sex drive. If you are one of them, you can now rest easy. The good news is that there are quite a number of remedies that can safely help you increase your sex drive. This article will give you some few tips on how to increase your sex drive and impress your partner as you used to.
What Causes Low Sex Drive?
First things first, before getting to know how you can increase your sex drive, it is important to understand what caused the problem in the first place. There is a broad range of reasons that can be culprits of your low sex drive. Here are some of them:
- Age – Older men especially between the age of 60 to 65 experience that their urge to have sex is low compared to when they were younger. Older men often find it hard to get sexually aroused and have an orgasm. Moreover, it may take longer for an older man to achieve an erection. He may also find it difficult to maintain it once he has achieved it. However, there are quite a number of solutions to solve low sex drive brought about by old age as we will discuss later in the article.
- Low Testosterone – Testosterone is the male hormone that makes men have the desire for sex. If this hormone is low, your sex drive can significantly decrease. Testosterone is produced by the male testicles and serves a number of functions in the body apart from sex drive. It is responsible for building muscle mass and stimulating the production of sperms. Testosterone that is below 300ng/dl can affect your sex drive.
You can quick an easy increase your testosterone level with supplements, you can check out some good testosterone supplement here.
- Lack of Time – Have you ever been too busy for sex? This mostly happens if you run a busy schedule that mostly leaves you exhausted at the end of the day. Also, if you have children especially young children, it can be quite challenging to secure some quite private time with your partner. And even if you manage to get some time, the chances are that you will be very exhausted to give your partner the attention she deserves.
- Medications – There is some medication that contributes to low sex derive. Such medications include the ones used to treat blood pressure such as ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers. These medications can affect you by preventing erections and ejaculations. If you are currently taking such medications and they are affecting your sex drive, try and speak to your doctor and find an alternative.
- Stress – Perhaps the strongest sexual organ in the body is not your genitals but the brain. While we use our brain to make all our sexual fantasies, it can lead to decreased sex drive when it is distracted. Stress is known to be one the biggest distracting factors of the brain. It can make the brain hinder hormones that are responsible for flowing blood to the penis to achieve an erection from functioning effectively.
- Sleep problems – A good night rest may be hard to come by, but you need to sleep properly to keep your body healthy, mind sharp and elevate your sex drive. Studies have revealed that people suffering from sleep apnea, a condition characterized by involuntary difficulties in breathing during the night, experience low sex drive. Additionally, lack of sleep heightens the level of cortisol in the body, a hormone associated with low level of libido.
How to Increase Sex Drive or Libido in Men
If you are suffering from low sex drive or your libido is completely dead, hope is not lost! There are some few things you can do to boost your libido naturally. Here are some of them:
- Exercise – If you have not been exercising, now it’s a good time to get off the couch and get your body moving. Take a walk, engage your kids and play with them or learn a new sport that will help keep your heart rate up. According to studies, men how to exercise for at least three days a week experience high sex drive.
The workout is also a good way to keep yourself busy and avoid bad habits that may lower your sex drive such as taking drugs. Thirty minutes a day of sweat-breaking activity such as swimming or running can do wonders when it comes to elevating your sex drive. Regular exercise is also going to pump you full of endorphins. Endorphins are hormones released by the brain that helps in keeping you naturally happy and elevated for sex.
- Schedule Some Time Alone with Your Partner – Good sex should not just happen; it should be spontaneous. That is because sex is not just about physically pushing the right buttons. You should be mentally prepared and turned towards it. Research has it that if you feel more emotionally connected to your partner, the chances are high that you will want to have sex with her.
One of the best ways to connect emotionally with your partner is by finding some time alone through a date. Schedule a date with her even if it’s once a week. During your date, you have to prioritize sex. The more you become intimate with your partner, the better. This will play a big role in raising your libido and improving your intimate relationship.
- Reduce Stress – Stress can wreak havoc on areas of your overall health, including your sex drive. It can contribute to negatively increasing your heart rate and also increase your blood pressure. These are some of the things that are damaging to your desire to have sex and also your performance. Stress can hinder you from achieving and maintaining an erection. It can also hinder you from achieving an orgasm. Meditation is one of the best ways to relieve stress. Take time and attend a yoga class or any other physical engaging activity such as sports. By reducing stress, you will give your brain time to focus and have pleasurable sexual activity.
- Get Plenty of Sleep – There is nothing as bad as being too tired to have sex. However, this is an all too common experience in recent days with the ever-busy world. Overworking yourself and not having time to relax and have a good night sleep is one of the factors that lower your libido. Make sure you create some time and have a good night sleep. Calm yourself down before sleeping by reading a book or listening to some relaxing music. Taking a rest through good night sleep can help you boost your energy levels as well as your libido.
- Supplements – Apart from lifestyle changes, there are quite a good number of supplements that are beneficial in boosting your sex drive. These supplements help you to balance your hormones and restore your sexual desires. Here is a list of supplements you can try out: VigRX Plus, Male Extra and Prosolution Plus
- Wild Oat – Wild oat is a very beneficial supplement for men when it comes to increasing their sex drive. Studies show that the main cause of low sex drive is reduced level of testosterone. Avena sativa, an extract from Wild oat contains an alkaloid that acts as a stimulant. The stimulant is believed to free up bound of testosterone in the body. This results in increased sex drive.
- Maca – Studies have shown Maca to be beneficial in enhancing sexual performance, fertility, and increase in overall sexual desires.
- L-arginine – Taking 1000 milligrams twice a day of this supplement will help you with blood vessel dilation. It also increases blood flow to the genital area. You can take this as a supplement, I recommend Male Extra.
- Hawthorn Berry – The red berries found on the Hawthorn tree are beneficial for cardiovascular health which in turn helps in improving blood circulation. Poor blood circulation in men can result to erectile dysfunction and minimal sexual sensitivity in men. Hawthorn berries increase blood circulation throughout the body and specifically on the genital area.
- Diet – If you are suffering from a low sex drive, then you may want to consider what you are consuming as the culprit. Just like some foods can work against your sex drive, there are some that can help increase your libido. All these foods are natural and will help you boost your sex life in more than one way. In case you need some inspiration to get it on, look no further than your local grocery store for some natural remedies. Here is our list of foods that are aphrodisiacs in case you want to take things to the next level.
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds – Snacking on sunflower and pumpkin seeds will help your body to increase the level of zinc. Zinc is an important mineral that is needed to boost your testosterone levels and improve your sperm health and quantity. Always add a handful of these seeds to your salads or your breakfast when you have some cereals.
- Peppers – The hotter the peppers, the better. Hot peppers increase your body metabolism and stimulate endorphins. This makes you sweat, plumps your lips and speeds up your heart rates leading to increased blood flow to all your essential areas. As a result, you get to enjoy better sex and a more memorable finale. However, make sure to thoroughly wash your hands before getting near your sensitive body parts.
- Bananas – Bananas are rich in vitamin B, which is crucial in reducing an individual’s stress levels and boosting energy. They are also rich in tryptophan, which is an amino acid that aids in the production of a feel-good hormones known as serotonin. Bananas are also an excellent source of potassium. Potassium can improve heart health and increase sex drive. Bananas also have bromelain enzyme which is beneficial for blood circulation.
- Watermelon – According to research, eating watermelon helps to relax the blood vessels improving blood circulation to your sex organs, which may enhance arousal. The phytonutrient citrulline contained in the watermelon is responsible for this effect. Since citrulline is highly concentrated near the rind, it is best to eat the more pickled watermelon rind.
- 0ysters – For a long time now, raw oysters have been referred to as an aphrodisiac. Oysters are an excellent source of zinc, which makes them perfect for boosting healthy sperm levels and raising your testosterone production.
- Seaweed – Thyroid disorder is one of the common cause of a lower sex drive. Thyroid hormones such as thyroxine help to boost your body metabolism thereby maintaining your energy levels. For your thyroid to work as expected, it requires iodine, and seaweed is a good source of it.
- Raw nuts – Taking nuts as a healthy snack can be beneficial for your sex drive. Raw nuts such as almonds are rich in an amino acid known as L-Arginine. This amino acid helps the body to secrete a nitric acid which helps in secretion of sex hormones and enable a man to achieve a firmer erection hence better sexual performance. Raw nuts are also rich in essential fatty acids that are required for male sexual health.
- Oats – For you to enjoy good sex, you need enough stamina and energy. Whereas a generally healthy meal helps you to feel strong and healthy, porridge oats have an added advantage of having a low glycemic index. This provides you with sustainable energy that is perfect for perking up flagging energy levels. Oats are also a great source of fiber, and research studies have shown that people who have high fiber diets tend to have healthier hearts, which in turn helps to keep the sexual organs healthy.
Foods that are killing your sex drive You Should Avoid
You have recently not been in the mood for sex. And it is expected that you are blaming stress, lack of sleep or fatigue, but the truth of the matter is perhaps hidden in what you put into your mouth. Since testosterone plays an integral role in your body, an imbalance can either lower or diminish your sex drive. Recent studies show that certain foods can greatly affect your hormonal levels. We have all read or heard about aphrodisiacs, but the list of foods below have effects that are quite the opposite.
- Bottled water – No, water does not lower your sex drive. But bottled water can. Plastic bottles contain bisphenol, which can destroy your sex life without you knowing what is responsible. Research studies have shown that excessive exposure to this material can result in increased urine BPA levels. High levels of BPA levels in the urine can lead to erectile difficulty, ejaculation problems, reduced sexual desire and lower satisfaction with sex life. Researchers have concluded that increased exposure to BPA during a six weeks test caused the count of Leydig cells to drop. These are cells that are responsible for testosterone production. This results in a significant drop in levels of the testosterone hormone.
- Licorice – This is a sugary plant that is mostly used in making candies, herbal teas and other beverages. This plant contains phytoestrogens and has been proved to affect the endocrine system. High consumption of licorice has been linked to reducing the levels of testosterone, a hormone that strengthens sexual desire.
- All-purpose flour – All-purpose flour and most of the processed foods are stripped of many components that are essential for sexual health. One of the components that is stripped of is the mineral zinc, which is essential to a man’s reproductive health. All-purpose flour has about three-quarters less zinc, compared to whole grain or whole wheat flour. Also, consumption of all-purpose flour can result in insulin resistance and eventually diabetes. In turn, diabetes can narrow the arteries increasing the risk of erectile dysfunction and heart disease.
- Alcohol – We all know that alcohol can damage the liver. And since the liver is responsible for metabolizing hormones, a damaged one can convert androgens into estrogens resulting in a decreased sex drive. While a simple glass of cocktail can leave you a bit stirred up, just one more drink can bring you disaster. Research studies have shown that alcohol is a downer and it can affect your ability to maintain his erection.
- Canned foods – Salt-based canned foods and salty snacks contain high sodium content which can result in high blood pressure. This can highly affect the blood circulation to the genital region and dampen your sexual experience. This is the main reason why high blood pressure is implicated as one of the causes of erectile dysfunction.
- Coffee – A cup of coffee might seem like an ultimate sinful indulgence, but the beverage, especially when taken in large quantities can result in anxiety. In case you have a history of anxiety disorders, avoiding coffee is highly recommended. Keep in mind that coffee stays in your body for several hours. Therefore, it may be wise if you skipped the coffee on a day you’re planning to indulge your sexual fantasies.
Low is sex drive is a condition bothering a majority of men especially over the age of 30. This condition does have not only physical and emotional effects but also psychological. It can be quite frustrating to a man not being able to satisfy her woman sexually despite his efforts. Low sex-drive can even lead to low self-esteem, chronic stress, and depression.
However, it doesn’t have to be this way. You can improve your libido naturally by making some few lifestyle changes. Don’t allow low sex drive negatively affect your life and self-image, follow the simple tips outlined above and you will be sure to experience some improvement. Supplements also come in handy, try some of the best male enhancement pills in the market for increased libido. If your problem is chronic and natural methods are not helping, it’s advisable that you visit your doctor and diagnose your problem. He will be able to suggest some effective treatment for you.
After finishing a master degree in Urology at the European University in St. Petersburg, Austin cofounded staustinreview.com in 2015. The purpose of the website is to help men with a wide variety of sexual problems with a language that everybody understand.
Austin is a dedicated writer and loves to get his hands dirty with product reviews and the latest urology news.
Outside of work his an outdoors person who loves fishing and running, you can follow Austin on Twitter or LinkedIn if you can keep up with him!